Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

Yesterday was the first day of school for me. I am teaching three sections of lab, taking two classes, doing research, and organizing atheist stuff. I had to get up at the ungodly hour of 6 a.m. to teach the first lab at 8:15. However, my kids in the first class were unusually quick at focusing the microscopes. It made for a good start to the day. In fact, none of the kids in any of the three classes struck me as especially dumb or devoid of common sense. Of course, this is only the first day.

After my three labs, Philosophychick and I trekked across campus putting up flyers for Atheist Social Night. We hit almost every building, and it was a hot and sticky journey. We encountered no resistance, even in crowded hallways, and got some positive response. We will have to continue to monitor the flyers, in case of vandalism. After that, we lunched and parted ways.



Here is an example of one of our flyers, deliberately placed beside a baptist flyer:





I killed time for a few hours and then went to my class on evolution. We will be studying genetic mechanisms of speciation. We took a pretest on ecology and eukaryotic genetics, and I realized I have a lot to learn. I prefer my bacteria to macroscopic organisms, but I have to go outside my comfort zone to fulfill a catalog requirement.

I am very tired now. And I have to get up early every day this week and get back in the grind all over again. It’s all worth it, though. I’m very excited about the possibilities for this new semester and I hope to keep up this enthusiasm all year.

4 comments:

k3vin said...

In typical college campuses I find that every view, political, religious or otherwise, is seen as a good thing as long as the people behind it are enthusiastic. Especially views that do not coincide with the mainstream.

Anyway, I like the fact that you included the atom A symbol and the new capital @ sign.

Microbiologychick said...

All the flyers in one particular building have been torn down.

That's ok, Philosophychick and I are just going to put them right back up, every day until social night.

PhillyChief said...

I think you need some help designing flyers that are more attractive than the Christians. Let me know if you need any graphic and/or layout assistance.

mmarian<3 said...

haha:) i agree with phillychief. .. pull out the coloured textas:))